Sarah Burke

Canadian skiier Sarah Burke died tragically on January 19th. She had an accident training for the half pipe, on January 10th and severed an artery going to her brain. She was placed in a coma for 9 days, but suffered too much irreversible brain damage to survive.
I must admit that I had heard of Sarah Burke and knew who she was, but never really followed her, or her husband Rory Bushfield's careers. She lives in Squamish, and when something like this happens to someone your age, so close to where you live, you can't help but pay attention. But this death has shaken me more than I would have ever expected.
I have watched videos, read articles, and done so much research since her passing. I am truly, truly shaken, and a bit terrified. What she does is dangerous, and there are extreme risks involved. Risks that her and her family knew, but when you love something, you just take that risk. In one video of her and her husband, they say that the mountain is where they met, it's where they play, it's who they are, and it is hopefully where they die. You know for sure that they never would have thought it would come so soon, but it was the way that they would have had it.
I don't know if I have seen a couple who seem more in love, and more just BEST friends than Sarah Burke and Rory Bushfield. They just adored eachother, and every part of eachother. I am an emotional person at best, and when bad things happen to good people, I feel it. I feel it for them, and I feel it for their families. Since Thursday, when she passed, I go to sleep thinking of her husband, and wake up thinking of her husband. What he must be doing, and how his life changed in a second, and he didn't even get to say goodbye. How they got married little more than a year ago, they said I Do, and promised to love eachother for their whole lives, and they got little more than a year. When you say I Do, you don't know that something awful could happen and cut that all short. Why? It is just so senseless how GOOD people are taken so fast, while so many bad people are left here on this earth.
It scares me, it makes me want to stay in my house with my husband and my family and just soak them in. It makes me scared to take risks, and scared to live life, on the off chance that one of those adventures will take my loved one, or me, away from this world. It makes me doubt the way that this world works, and doubt the person, the being, who is supposed to look out for us. I have always been a little, say a lot, scared of losing the people that I love, and for some reason, this death has brought it all to the surface.
You want to live life to the fullest, and get the most out of it.  You don't want to die saying that you were too scared to risk, so you spent your life in your house, but you don't want to take a risk and have your life change for the worse, in a second. If there is one positive in this, it has made me appreciate what I have so much more. I sent emails to all that I love, just to make sure they know it, and to keep in touch. I will keep her family, and her husband in my thoughts, and hope that they make it through.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Nanny and our Ava

Whitney Houston