My love on Valentines Day
This husband of mine, boy do we make each other crazy sometimes; and when I say "crazy," I mean the best and the worst of it, the funniest and the funnest of it. But on this day, "love day," if there needs to be one designated day for it - does he ever love well.
When I was in my 20's I was certain that "loving well" meant snuggling, hugging, dancing, wanting to always touch and tell each other what we meant to each other. In my 20's, I was sure he was doing it wrong. I was sure I saw some of my friends partners doing all of those things, so it must have meant they had it right and we/he had it wrong. Boy oh boy was I wrong.
If I have learned one important thing from my husband, on our 17 crazy years, it is that love means so many things. I wasn't wrong in wanting love to be affectionate, or passionate, because that will always be a big part of it for me. ut as our relationship grows and changes, I've begun to see the many forms love can take.
When we had our first child, love looked like waking up to change a diaper before I fed our daughter. Every single time I would feed her, my exhausted husband! It meant taking our little love out so Mommy could have a quick shower, or long nap!
When I hurt my back, love meant helping me to and from the car and fetching cold and hot packs and robasicet.
When we go to the Island 2-3 times a year, it means hugging me silently while we leave my Papa flowers, and not making too big of a scene of it so our daughter wouldn't worry. When we visit the cabin, it means giving me a few moments alone when we get there, to let it all come flooding back to me. It means doing it just because you know me, love me, and respect me - not because I ask you to.
When we bought our first home, love changed shaper again, and sometimes it takes the shape of a coat of paint, some do-it-yourself plumbing, or a giant hole in our kitchen wall.
When I am not in your immediate thoughts, or vision these days, I know that your babies are. I know that you're wondering how Ava's Valentines' Day Part or Riley's first day of daycare is going, JUST as much as I am, because that is what love looks like.
When I watch you play the piano with your son, or let your daughter paint your nails, I know you know what love is, and I know what love is. And I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are doing it right.



Comments
Post a Comment