Pride and Confidence in our Peanut


Sweet girl, you and I went hiking last week with Jen and Tessa. It was to a place that we had never been before, and although it was not a very long hike, it was more of a HIKE than I had thought. You were such a happy little hiker, even though you were a little sick, and you walked carefully up the whole way, where we ended up looking out over the Cheam Wetlands. You liked the smell of the wood stairs, just like your Mommy, and you were quick to point out any flower, different kind of leaf, and bug that you saw.
Your little legs began to tire on the way down, and you walked beside Mommy and Riley, holding my hand, the entire way down.
On the drive home, you so tiredly and thoughtfully said, "Mommy, I think Daddy would like this hike."

The very next day, Saturday, we decided we would take Daddy on the hike too, and Ava, you were SO excited to show Daddy everything that you remembered from the day before. And even though Daddy pointed out some things that you and I had not noticed the day before, you so proudly pretended like you had seen them the day before.
Ava, there is nothing that makes me happier than seeing you PROUD of something that you accomplished, or PROUD of something that you created, or did, or noticed, or figured out. I am always proud of the things that you accomplish, and your Daddy and I will be your biggest cheerleaders, but there is something extra special in seeing you take pride in something.



When your little legs and strong hands get you up over a big boulder, or around a tricky bend when we were hiking, and you exclaim, "I did it!" Ava, your Daddy and I just beam with pride for you.

Ava when you and Mommy tried out a new little art project last week when it was hot, you took such care to do it in your own way. You looked at how Mommy did hers, but did not even think for a moment of copying what I had done, and that brings me such happiness. I am always a little nervous when we do things like this beside eachother that you will look at what I have done and will want to do it my way, or wish that yours looked like mine. On days when we do things so differently, and you don't even think to do it the same way as your Mommy, I am so proud of you.

For this craft, we got fabric wet, then painted it with acrylic paint, and quickly laid flower petals, leaves, dandelions and grass on top of it. Then we let the sun dry the fabric then pealed off the leaves, to show the outlines they had made.
For some reason, Mommy's did not work at all, and yours worked out perfectly. You were so proud of how yours had turned out Ava, and you were so proud to show Daddy and Grandma. But more than that, you sensed that Mommy was a little bit confused about why hers hadn't worked out, and you were quick to tell me that mine was really nice too.  You asked me if I liked mine, and I told you that I did like it, but that I wished the outlines would have worked out a little better, kind of how yours worked out. You told me, "yours is really pretty too, Mommy."
Ava, that is a quality that not all kids possess, and I am SO proud that you are able to recognize the feelings of others and offer kind words to help them/us feel better about ourselves.

Ava, we love you so very much and are so proud of the little person that you are, with the big personality.


Comments

  1. Lovely words, Kelly! Nothing more important in life than teaching our children to be proud of who they are and what they can accomplish. We can be proud for them but it's just not the same thing. You know this and Ava knows this (not bad for a 3 year old!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Nanny and our Ava

Whitney Houston

Sarah Burke